Of CounselJohn S. Weaver, Esquire
“I have a passion for oral and written client advocacy, and I am particularly excited to bring my extensive appellate experience to the firm’s appellate practice group."
Hello, I’m John Weaver.
Hailing from Montgomery County, I have a unique background in family law that combines 35 years representing clients in Maryland trial & appellate courts and six years as a Family Magistrate in Montgomery County Circuit Court. Trained in mediation and arbitration, I’m a skilled negotiator who mediates cases both privately and when designated by a court. Because of my diverse experience, I know what constitutes efficient, effective, and persuasive trial & appellate advocacy along with successful alternative dispute resolution. Above all, I seek to provide clients with knowledgeable counsel, realistic expectations, and effective assistance in resolving their family law matters — whether inside the courtroom or out.
As an experienced appellate attorney, I seize every opportunity to bring my passion for oral and written advocacy to the firm’s appellate practice group for each client’s benefit. Throughout my career, I’ve appeared on more than three dozen appellate briefs and argued cases before both Maryland appellate courts. These appeals resulted in multiple reported opinions and tackled significant family law issues, such as divorce grounds; alimony; monetary awards; child custody awards; modification; relocation; child support; voluntary impoverishment; attorneys’ fees; expert witnesses and discovery violation sanctions; and other important matters. Whatever your appellate needs may be, it’s my goal to advise you on your rights, provide practical and realistic counsel about your alternative to an appeal, and zealously advocate your case.
Beyond my role at Z Family Law, I’m actively involved in the Bar Association of Montgomery County, and I regularly plan and present Continuing Legal Education seminars on family law matters, including the esteemed Basic Family Law Training course for attorneys, which I’ve helmed since 1993. In 2020, I authored The Seven Principles of a Just Divorce: Biblical Wisdom and Legal Insight, a practical guide for anyone navigating a divorce and a resource for parents looking to protect their children from becoming collateral damage during the transition.
I welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how Z Family Law may be of service to you in your family law matter.
- University of Maryland, College Park, B.A., Government & Politics, 1976
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1979
- Reformed Theological Seminary - Washington, D.C., M.A., Religion, 2007
- Maryland, 1979
- District of Columbia, 1981
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1980
- Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1982
- 40-hour Basic Mediation and 20-hour Custody Mediation courses (Maryland’s Judicial Institute)
- 35-hour ABA International Family Law Mediation Training
- 20-hour Collaborative Divorce Team Training (2007)
- Beyond Yes: Negotiating Success from the Inside Out, Global Negotiation Insight Institute (2010)
- AAML Arbitration Training Institute – Matrimonial Law Arbitration (2010)
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution 5th Annual Arbitration Training Institute (2010)
- Pepperdine Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution Advanced Mediation Training – Various
- Advanced Mediation Training, ADR Section of MSBA (2016)
Awards & Honors
- Bar Foundation of Montgomery County, Bar Leader
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland Family Law Section, Section Chair of the Year Award, 1993-94
- Bar Association of Montgomery County President’s Citation for Outstanding Service to the Bar, 1996, 2015, 2017
- Bar Foundation of Montgomery County, Pro Bono Program Individual and Firm Awards, 1994
- Bar Foundation of Montgomery County, Annual Pro Bono Service Award, 2001
- Bethesda Magazine, “Top Attorneys” recognition: Appellate, 2019, 2021; Mediation, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent, 1994 - present
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2015 - 2023
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Member, Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Executive Committee (2011-2013; 2001-03)
- Family Law Section (Chair, 1993-94; CLE chair/co-chair, 2013-present)
- CLE Committee (Chair, 2013-2015)
- Leadership Development Academy Committee (2012- present; Co-Chair, 2017-19 Chair, Selection Sub-Committee, 2012-19)
- Bar Leader; ADR Section
- Past: Bench-Bar Committee; Fee Dispute Resolution Committee; Ethics Committee, Ethics Hotline; Pro Bono Committee
- Montgomery County Chapter of American Inns of Court, “Bencher” member since 2001
- Maryland State Bar Association: Family Law Section, ADR Section
- American Bar Association: Family Law Section and International Law Section
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Christian Legal Society (CLS)