Skip to content

Standing Up to Domestic Violence

Your safety comes first — and at Z Family Law, we’re here to help you to protect it. If someone is abusing you or your children, there are steps you can take to seek protection through the courts. Further, we can walk you through a safety plan and make referrals to housing programs, counselors, movers, security services, and other professionals that can help you on your way to a new beginning. By seeking the most secure protective measures available through the court system and advising our clients on how to enforce any issued protective order, our experienced team of domestic violence attorneys will fight for your well-being now and into the future.


The Role of Protective and Peace Orders

In domestic violence cases, there are two types of orders requiring that a respondent stay away from someone (or multiple people) indefinitely or for specific periods of time: protective orders and peace orders. On top of the mandate that the defendant steer clear of the filer, a protective order can also include child custody stipulations, demand that the respondent pay financial support, and require the abuser to surrender their firearms. Respondents can be imprisoned if they violate the order.

What’s the Difference Between Protective and Peace Orders?

A protective order is employed for respondents who have a close personal or familial relationship with the person being abused, while peace orders are reserved for the general public.


A protective order can be filed against:

  • A current or former spouse
  • A cohabitant with whom you have been intimate at any point and with whom you have resided for a period of 90 days or more in the preceding year
  • An individual with whom you have had a sexual relationship within the previous year
  • An individual who has committed attempted or actual rape or a sexual offense against you
  • A relative through blood, adoption, or marriage
  • The other parent of your child
  • A parent, step-parent, child, or step-child who lives or has lived with you for a period of at least 90 days within the last year

Peace orders are typically filed when the abuser is:

  • A neighbor
  • A co-worker
  • An acquaintance
  • A stranger

Help Is Just a Few Clicks Away

At Z Family Law, our lawyers help victims file for a temporary/interim order the moment abuse occurs. Temporary/interim protective and peace orders can be filed at any time — day or night. Even if the court is closed, the order can instead be filed through the district court commissioners’ offices.


Types of Abuse Covered by Protective and Peace Orders

While both orders cover many of the same types of abuse, there are some defining nuances. Both types of orders cover:

  • Acts that inflict serious bodily harm
  • Acts that lead someone to fear for their safety
  • Assault
  • Rape or sexual assault
  • False imprisonment
  • Stalking

In addition to the categories listed above, peace orders can also cover harassment, trespassing, and malicious destruction of property.

Finding the Right Domestic Violence Attorney for You

Whether it’s a close relative or a complete stranger, no one has the right to abuse you, threaten you, or cause you to fear for your own safety or the safety of your children. Guided by empathy and knowledge, our qualified team of client and child protection attorneys is here to advocate for your well-being and ask the courts to stop domestic violence at the source. From the day you decide to file for a temporary/interim order to the moment the official order is in place, we’ll be there every step of the way. By combining our vast legal experience, our tenured team can design a tailored strategy to help you take back your power and build the new beginning you deserve.

Quick Exit